Visiting Countries Other Than Your Own

If you are visiting a country other than your own you may be required to obtain a visa to enter that country. You should contact the embassy or consulate of the particular country in the U.S. for visa requirements.

Please be aware that many countries (including the U.S.) do not allow visitors to transit through their countries unless they have entry visas, transit visas, or meet specific requirements. Before arranging travel that would require transit through a country that is not your home country, review that country's visa policies, and/or consult your travel agent.

If you will need to apply for a U.S. visa for your return to the U.S. and are planning to apply for it in a country other than your home country, please visit the web site of the U.S. embassy or consulate in which you plan to apply for the visa for its operating procedures and visa processing times. Some visa applicants may be prohibited from applying for a visa at a U.S. embassy or consulate in a third country. Please be sure to check the web site of the proper embassy or consulate.

Harvard Global Support Services is able to provide advice on outbound visa requirements and has a number of resources on its website for Harvard travelers.

In case of emergency while abroad, International SOS provides medical, mental health, security advice, referrals, and emergency evacuation services to eligible Harvard travelers abroad. To ensure access to these services, it is crucial that all international travel be registered with International SOS before you travel abroad. You can also review country guides, sign up for alerts, and download the International SOS Assistance App before you leave.