Types of Scholar Visas

There are many non-immigrant visa classifications. The categories most frequently used to permit an international scholar to be appointed at Harvard are the J-1 Exchange Visitor visa and the H-1B Temporary Worker visa. The HIO advisors will determine the most appropriate visa to use for each individual scholar. The type of visa chosen depends on many factors: the source and amount of the scholar's salary or funding, the nature and duration of the appointment, how soon the appointment will begin, whether the individual is currently in the U.S. or has recently been in the U.S. and is therefore subject to certain restrictions. Scholars must not plan to enter the U.S. without the appropriate visa documents processed by the HIO and sent to them.

Visa Type Overview
J-1 Research Scholar/ Professor J-1 Research Scholars participate in research and related activities at the University. J-1 Professors participate in teaching and research at the University.
J-1 Short-Term Scholar For professors or research scholars coming to the United States for an academic visit of six months or less.
H-1B Visa For faculty and research scholars who are coming temporarily to the United States to perform services in a specialty occupation. Must receive a Harvard salary.
O-1 Visa For faculty and research scholars who are individuals of extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, or education.
TN for Canadians and Mexicans For Mexican or Canadian citizens to be admitted to the United States to engage in "business activities at a professional level" in certain fields.
F-1 &J-1 Student Work Permission Current international students with F-1 or J-1 work permission, or on-campus employment at Harvard.
Permanent Residence The right to live and work in the United States indefinitely. Also known as having a "green card".
J-1 Student Interns For students enrolled in degree program abroad coming to Harvard for an educational internship.
Government Chart of All Visa Types