About Visa Sponsorship at Harvard

The University provides visa sponsorship for individuals with temporary academic appointments, to enable scholars and student interns to enter the U.S. and to remain at Harvard for the time required to fulfill the intended purpose of the academic visit. For more information about what constitutes an academic appointment at Harvard, please see Academic Appointments and Required Funding.

Immigration regulations tend to be confusing to those who are not frequently involved with them. The Harvard International Office (HIO) staff are trained to work on immigration matters. Please notify the HIO whenever a non-U.S. citizen who is not a U.S. lawful permanent resident (green card holder) accepts an academic appointment. Any non-U.S. citizen who is not a U.S. lawful permanent resident, whether presently living in the U.S. or outside the U.S., must have some visa action taken on their behalf before beginning an appointment at Harvard. 

The HIO advising staff have the authority and responsibility to submit all employment-based immigration petitions (e.g., H-1B, O-1, green card) sponsored by Harvard University and is the only entity authorized to sign immigration petitions and applications on behalf of the University. Individuals cannot engage outside counsel (immigration attorneys) to file University petitions on their behalf. For further information on this policy, please contact your assigned HIO advisor.