Cell Phones

When purchasing a cell phone or phone plan, you normally are asked for a Social Security Number (SSN). If you do not have one and are not eligible for one, you may be asked to pay a security deposit. The amount of the deposit varies according to the provider. There are alternatives to avoid the SSN or deposit requirement, listed below.

  • Buy a prepaid mobile phone, which is possible to do at local stores such as T-Mobile in Harvard Square.
  • Use a prepaid sim card with your existing, unlocked cell phone. Companies that offer this service include:
    • Mint Mobile: Sim cards are available for free during the HIO pick up hours. Mint Mobile offers prepaid wireless cell phone plans and operates completely online. After getting a prepaid sim card, you must download an app through which you can choose your plan. They have 3 month introductory plans with the option to renew if you like the service.
    • US Mobile: Sim card starter kits are available for free during the HIO pick up hours and offer discounts for students.