J-1 Student Intern Visa Process

The following information outlines the visa application process when a new international student intern comes to Harvard University from outside the United States using a visa sponsored by Harvard University. All student intern visas sponsored by Harvard University require both a visa document issued by the Harvard International Office (HIO) and a visa from a U.S. embassy or consulate outside the United States. Canadian citizens only need a visa document and do not need a visa from a U.S. embassy or consulate. The information in this section provides an overview of what to expect when requesting a visa document from Harvard University, applying for a visa at a U.S. embassy or consulate, and finally, entering the United States.