Additional Tax Resources

Harvard Office of the Controller - International Payee Tax Compliance

The International Payee Tax Compliance (IPTC) team helps Harvard international students and scholars determine their tax residency status and apply for tax treaty benefits. Check the IPTC Customer Service website for different ways to contact them directly.

Address and Helpline for Federal Tax Assistance

Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program - 1-800-829-1040
General Federal Tax Questions - 1-800-829-1040

IRS resources for International Students and Scholars

These publications contain very useful information on a variety of issues affecting foreign nationals and their U.S. tax status.

Massachusetts State Tax Resources

Massachusetts Department of Revenue Tax Preparer Referrals

Find a tax professional to help with your taxes on the Masachusetts Department of Revenue website.

Professional Tax Preparers

The following is a partial list of tax preparers in the Boston area. It is advisable to compare the services and fees, since fees may vary widely. We would appreciate hearing from you if you have a particularly good or bad experience with any of these preparers so that we may better advise you in the future.

H&R Block At HomeTM Tax Center contains a wide variety of tax preparation products and is available for every tax situation. Harvard staff, faculty, retirees and students may receive special pricing for these services.

Costa Law Group, P.C.
Tax and Business Attorneys
195 Worcester Street, Suite 205
Wellesley, MA 02481
(617) 969-9500
Contact: Nelson J. Costa

Vacovec, Mayotte & Singer
Tax Attorneys
255 Washington Street
Newton, MA 02158
(617) 964-0500
Christopher Beck

The tax resources offered by the HIO are provided so that international members of the Harvard community can make informed personal decisions concerning their taxes. HIO advisors are not trained tax specialists and cannot provide individual advice on taxes. By using these tax assistance programs, you acknowledge that Harvard University is not liable for any errors and incidental or consequential damages in connection with the furnishing, performance or use by you of these on-line systems, on-line HELP and/or examples contained therein. You should seek professional tax advice from a qualified accountant or attorney if you have questions or need clarification.