*For more information, please visit the Campus Services website
Questions to Consider When Choosing an Insurance Plan Outside Harvard
There are many factors that you need to consider when choosing a health insurance plan in the U.S. It is important that you research the different insurance options available and select the plan that best fits your individual situation.
Here are some suggested questions to start the conversation with a health insurance provider. This is not a complete list. You may need to ask additional questions before making a final decision depending on your individual or family medical needs.
- Does the plan cover pre-existing medical conditions? How does this plan define pre-existing condition?
- Does the plan cover pregnancy and maternity care (even if they are pre-existing)?
- What medical costs are covered if I or my spouse gets pregnant while in the U.S.?
- Does the plan meet the J-1 Federal and Massachusetts State insurance requirements?
- How do you pay for the plan? What amount is due at signing? What is the most cost effective payment plan?
- I will be living in the Boston/Cambridge area – how do I find out which doctors and clinics I can visit?
- Who do I contact if I have a health emergency?
- Does this plan cover other medical services, such as prescription drugs, mental health services, or dental insurance?
- I have children who will be attending school in Massachusetts. Will this plan cover physicals and immunizations?
- Will this insurance cover me during travel to my home country or other places abroad?
- What is the renewal process?