Visa Types

Using any non-immigrant visa category will enable you to enter and stay in the United States for a specified amount of time. The dates on the visa in your passport do not always indicate how long you may remain in the United States. Your length of stay is determined either by an immigration officer on the entry stamp when you enter the United States or the dates indicated on your Form I-20 or Form DS-2019. While you are in the United States, it will be your responsibility to know when your visa documents (Form I-20 or DS-2019) will expire and to work with the HIO to apply for any extensions in a timely manner. Regulations regarding employment, permitted length of stay, and spouse’s eligibility to work vary according to the visa category. It is therefore important to understand the regulations pertaining to each visa type.

F Visa

For non-immigrants wishing to pursue academic studies and/or language training programs for a period of time in the United States.

J Student Visa

For students in specific educational exchange programs such as the Fulbright, LASPAU, DAAD, AmidEast, etc. Can also be used for degree programs.

J Student Intern Visa

For students participating in an internship program in the United States that will fulfill the educational objectives of their current degree programs at their home institutions. Students must be enrolled and pursuing a degree in an academic institution outside the United States.

J Scholar Visa

The J-1 visa allows academic institutions and other educational exchange programs to sponsor international researchers to participate in educational and cultural programs in the United States.

H-1B Visa

A temporary worker visa designated for individuals coming temporarily to the United States to work in a specialty occupation.

O-1 Visa

A temporary worker visa designated for individuals of extraordinary ability in the sciences, education, business, arts or athletics; and individuals of extraordinary achievement in the motion picture and television industries.

TN Visa

Enables Canadian and Mexican citizens to be admitted to the United States to engage in "business activities at a professional level" in certain occupations.

E-3 Visa

A temporary worker visa designated for Australian citizens coming temporarily to the United States to work in a specialty occupation.

B Visa

The B-1 visa is for a visitor coming temporarily to the United States generally for short term business. The B-2 visa is generally for pleasure or medical treatment.