Welcome new international scholars! As you prepare to come to Harvard we hope that the following information will help you ease your transition to Harvard and the Cambridge/Boston area. Please take some time to review the information offered on this web site since it provides critical information and helpful guidance on what your next step is in getting ready to come to Harvard.
Preparing for Arrival
- HIO Registration
- HIO Orientation
- Harvard ID
- Harvard Resources
- Health Insurance
- Living in the Community
- Adjusting to a New Culture
- Tax and Social Security Numbers
As you prepare to leave home please be sure to have the following items with you when traveling to the United States.
- Valid passport
- Visa document (Form I-20, DS-2019, or I-797)
- Valid visa in passport (not applicable to Canadian citizens)
- Appointment offer letter
- Medical record (only if needed for follow up care while in U.S.)
- Money for initial expenses
This section provides helpful information that pertains to international scholars who currently hold academic appointments at Harvard University. Scholars may find the following links helpful.