This system enables the U.S. Government to maintain updated information on F and J visa holders. For more information about SEVIS, please visit the U.S. Immigration and Customers Enforcement website.

SEVIS Fee for F Students and J Exchange Visitors

The Department of Homeland Security collects a congressionally mandated fee to cover the costs of updating SEVIS. Accompanying F-2 and J-2 dependents do not pay the SEVIS fee.

How to Pay the SEVIS Fee

The SEVIS fee must be paid by U.S. dollars. The Form I-901 Fee for Remittance for Certain F, M, and J Non-immigrants) must be completed in order to pay the fee. A SEVIS number is needed to complete the Form I-901. The SEVIS number is located on the upper right corner of the Form DS-2019 and upper left corner of the Form I-20.

Those with credit cards and access to the internet may pay the SEVIS fee on-line

Those with a country of citizenship or country of birth of Cameroon, Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria or Gambia must pay by money order.

Those without access to the internet and credit cards may pay the SEVIS fee by a personal check, money order, or foreign draft drawn on a U.S. bank. The fee and the Form I-901 must be mailed to

I-901 Student/Exchange Visitor Processing Fee
P.O. Box 970020
St. Louis, MO 63197-0020

Evidence of the SEVIS fee payment in the form of a receipt or a payment verification print-out must be presented during a visa application interview at a U.S. embassy or consulate and at many U.S. ports of entry. Please have your SEVIS payment receipt ready upon entry and reentry to the U.S.

Canadian citizens are not required to have visas, but they are required to present the SEVIS fee payment receipt at a U.S. port of entry as they enter the United States. Please note that it is not possible to pay the SEVIS fee at the U.S. port of entry. Canadians must pay the SEVIS fee prior to getting to the port of entry. For more information about the SEVIS fee, please refer to the SEVIS website or contact the HIO.