Harvard International OfficeHarvard Campus Image

HIO Registration

You must register at the HIO soon after your arrival at Harvard. Please take your passport and visa document (Form I-20, Form DS-2019 or Form I-797) for registration at the HIO. If you have dependents who have accompanied you to the United States in a dependent visa status such as F-2, J-2 or H-4 please take their visa documents and passports to the HIO as well. Please also take to the HIO any documents issued by an immigration official upon your entry to the United States. The staff at the HIO will provide important immigration-related information, and will answer any questions you may have. Students will not be permitted to register for classes at their schools without first registering at the HIO.

Until very recently the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) issued a paper Form I-94, arrival/departure record, usually stapled into the passport whenever an individual entered the United States. CBP is creating an on-line I-94 instead of issuing the traditional paper form at ports of entry.

You will now need to do two things when you enter the United States:

1) Check your passport to make sure that the CBP officer has put an entry stamp indicating that you entered on a certain date, in a certain visa status, e.g. F-1, and can stay until a certain date or D/S (duration of status) in the case of F and J visa holders.

2) Print out your I-94 via www.cbp.gov/i94 as you will need it for other purposes.

You may complete and print the HIO Registration Form to take with you to the HIO, or complete the form when you are at the HIO.

Admissions  |  Harvard Administrators  |  International Programs  |  Statistics  |  Privacy Policy  |  ©2014 President & Fellows of Harvard College