- Both the Boston Globe and the Boston Herald are published seven days a week. The Thursday edition of the Globe contains the Calendar, which has extensive listings of movies, exhibits, festivals, and other events in the Boston area.
- The Boston Phoenix (published each Thursday) has an arts section, which lists everything going on in and around Boston for that week. The Phoenix also publishes the same periodical under a different title, BAD/Boston After Dark, as a free service to students. It is available at many student centers around the Harvard campus.
Many international newspapers and journals can be located in the periodical room on the mezzanine level of Widener Library. International news and other programs are broadcast on the international and Scola channels, which may be viewed at Ticknor Lounge in Boylston Hall during weekdays.
- Gazette (published by the University each Thursday) provides news and listings of events at Harvard
- Crimson (a student-run newspaper published daily)
- Independent (a student-run newspaper published each Thursday)
- Resource (news and information for Harvard University Faculty and Staff published every two weeks)
Local bookstores have many excellent guidebooks to Boston, Massachusetts, New England, and other regions of the United States. Two stores with particularly extensive collections of travel guidebooks are the Harvard Coop in Harvard Square, and the Globe Corner Bookstore (90 Mt. Auburn Street, Cambridge).