Tips for New Arrivals
Welcome to Harvard, international students and scholars! We hope that by now you have obtained your visa and are making your final arrangements to move to the Boston area. The office hours at the HIO are 9:00 am to 3:00 pm. During the weeks beginning August 20 and August 27 the HIO will be open from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. Below are some suggestions to help you with U.S. immigration and arrival procedures.
- Students should obtain certified copies of your passport biographical page and U.S. visa page from the agency that issued your passport. The copies may be needed for certain applications to the U.S. government. We also suggest carrying a certified copy of the passport biographical page rather than the original passport when traveling in the Boston metro area.
U.S. Immigration Inspection
- You must have your visa document (Form I-20 or DS-2019), passport, and financial documentation in your carry-on luggage because you will need to show them to immigration officials when you enter the United States. Do not pack them in your checked luggage.
Arrival at Harvard
- You must visit the HIO soon after your arrival with your passport, I-94 card (white card usually stapled in your passport), and your DS-2019 or I-20 visa document. You may wish to complete the HIO registration form before you arrive and bring it with you.
- We are located in Harvard Square, Holyoke Center on the eighth floor, Room 864. The street address is 1350 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge. Please note Monday, September 3rd is the Labor Day holiday and our office along with most University offices will be closed.
- There will be orientations at the HIO and in your respective schools which you will want to attend.